Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 29 ~ In The Sticks

Trail Ride Today :) My husband rode his Walker and I took off on Lindsay. We rode off the back of our property and our little Fiest, Betty, came along as well. We had a blast. Met up w/ some friends and the 4 of us rode for about an hour or so. Lindsay was great in the back of the group or the front..We started in the back and she seemed very comfortable there, but once we moved up front oh she got excited! She seemed to love leading the pack and really picked up the pace as if she couldn't wait to see what was around the next corner! We walked over some big logs and through some relatively dense area of woods with the limbs rubbing our sides and my face! She was so good, just blazed right on through and honestly seemed excited to be out there. Her walk is so strong and forward I just love it. You can tell you covering ground and getting somewhere. Everything she does has a purpose, even when she's simply going from point A to point B, she is determined to go from A to B the best way she can..I love that about her.

She's pretty good with the other horses around her too, certainly not afraid of them...she seems to assume they should be afraid of her! She reminds me of a boss mare when she looks at them, it's like she simply knows she's the top of the totem pole and doesn't even discuss it with the others... they should simply know to, it's just the way it is..and I believe they do. I have a feeling she was a lead mare out in the wild, I bet she was a protective Mother too...and a very good one at that.

After we got back I let her rest in front of her fan for a bit then pulled her back out to work in the ring. We worked lots and moving off my leg and rein on her neck and it really started to click today. She was doing some fabulous leg yields and half passes. I even started to ask her to cross over a bit in the front and come on around with her front end a little quicker. She picked up on that pretty well and a few times I felt her shoulders lift and swing around pretty snappy! Oh I am Sooooo excited for the day when she's ready to spin!! I really think she's going to be a natural.

We finished up and when I untacked her in the barn Mike came up and rubbed her face. She was much better about him approaching her, she's still not 100% certain about it, but Way better than before.

Excited about tomorrow, we are going to start jumping this week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment