Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 61 & 62 ~Slidin', Spinnin' & Stoppin'

Well I do not consider myself a reining trainer, even though after my experience w/ Lindsay I might have a new discipline to explore :) She really is a fabulous teacher. We've been practicing lots of lead changes, she's got her simple changes down pat and has become pretty consistent with getting the lead I ask for...we are working on flying changes and we get them sometimes...sometimes not, but with her natural "uphill" canter I do believe she is fully capable. It's just a matter of time for her to figure out where to put her feet at all times. We have done some flying changes over poles and she gets those well, but I do not want to become dependent on that so I ask for them just on the flat as well. She is so smart and athletic, I just have to do my best to stay consistent and let her learn and figure things out in her own time.

We've worked on our stops too, out of a decent forward canter. She is still stronger on her left lead, but the right lead stop is coming along to. When she gets a good slide it is just an amazing experience! What a feeling..it's like you're floating across the ground...I can see why so many people love to show reiners!

We worked on speeding up our spins by me kissing once I asked her to step over. That went well, but we got a little ahead of ourselves and started loosing some of our cross over in the front...especially turning left. So today we backed up a bit (Figuratively) and went back to 90 degree and 180 degree turns really encouraging forward motion. She remembered well and started crossing over again. I imagine we'll do a lot of that as well as full spins to try and hold that cross over. She is very capable of it, but when we spin a full 360 sometimes we get a little stuck and loose our forward. When that happens I try to go back to getting that forward motion and cross over again.

Today it was soooooo incredibly hot, I was not in the best mood when I went to ride and I really anticipated a not so perfect ride. I mean Lindsay can only be as good as I allow her to be, if my moods and emotions get in her way it can not help but hold her back. It was odd though, it was if she took the wheel for me tonight. She was very relaxed and did not anticipate as she sometimes does. I actually felt much better after stepping off her..she really gave me a nice ride. I wonder if she'll take the wheel in Texas if need be? I sure hope so, I am certain I will not be the most relaxed person there!

No comments:

Post a Comment