Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 65 ~ Short n Sweet

This horse just amazes me more each day. I can hardly imagine how she was 65 days ago...no interest in her grain what-so-ever...terrified for my finger to simply rest on her neck...no interest in anything at all, but doing her best to keep a safe distance from everything...especially that Pig they call "Samantha P" ... now she calls for her dinner as soon as she sees me arrive, She has decided she not only doesn't mind the touch of my hand, but it actually makes quite the good scratching post...she is intrigued by everything and when uncertain typically wants to explore the new object rather than flee...and Samantha P ..well it's hard to be afraid of a pig that takes a bath in your bath water underneath you every day :) ... She just amazes me, it really is hard to imagine her the horse she used to be. Which of course she is the same confident, strong willed mare she is today, she's just allowed many new doors to open in order to share her talent with me and it is a truly indescribable feeling when she really lets me into who she is. It is not to my credit that she is seemingly becoming "Domesticated" ... I have done nothing but listened to her and done my best to be as clear in my requests as she is in hers...and offer her the same patience she offers me in answering the questions correctly. She is a fabulous teacher and I am still learning more each day...and as far as being "Domesticated" it is hard for me to really see it that way, she is as much a free, unique spirit as any horse I've ever met..I just can not imagine her ever being "broken" She is much to confident in her own skin to allow anyone to do that.

We had a short ride tonight after the storm rolled through. Her flying changes are really developing. Her right to left is almost solid and the left to right is developing steadily. I find the best thing to do is simply ask nicely and wait patiently...it may take her a few strides, but she figures it out on her own. She does not need me to add pressure if she does not get it right at first. She puts enough pressure on herself, if I add more, it's to much. I am so thankful she is so physically capable. I have been on horses with plenty of try, but lack the physical ability. I always commend the try, but there is typically a plateau with those that is difficult to surpass. Her abilities seem infinite. It's as if she can do anything with her body she wants and will willing do so for me if I can simply explain my request. If only I was so perfect in my explanations every time :( But I strive to be and she is thankfully forgiving of my mistakes.

We also worked on opening and closing the rope gate and thankfully that went well. We still have moments where she gets tense when I begin to pick something up, but she is much more comfortable than before. I just do not think it makes much sense to her why we should be grabbing inanimate objects and carrying them around. She is still much more comfortable with anything alive, like a tree branch, than she is a water bottle. It's like she can feel the difference, even when things look very similar to the eye. I think there is a lot to be said for that. For example; there is a "feel" you get from leather or horse hair that is simply impossible to simulate with man-made products. It seems she already has this figured out....She has lots figured out that I have yet to...thankfully she's still willing to teach me as long as I am willing to listen and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment