Saturday, July 31, 2010

Day 80-84 ~ Getting there

Well this week we have been trying to mainly re-iterate things in Lindsay's mind and my own so that hopefully all will go smoothly in Texas. She is such an intelligent girl and is packed with all this new knowledge now. I am just trying to keep her happy and quiet as we put this new knowledge to work. She can get a little "up" when we do a lot of lead changes, stops and spins..so I try to still remember to work in a lot of low and low work in between. That really settles her, the stretching seems to relax her mind and body.

We have continued to practice stepping on our pedestal and..other than taking a too large step and stepping over it from time to time..she's got it pretty much figured out. When she does step to far though, it does not seem to frighten her to slip off it. I am hoping that will be a plus when we cross the trail bridge in the preliminary course, hopefully she'll be pretty confident stepping up onto whatever I ask her to. They tell us there will be 2 bridges, one typical to a trail pattern and one that has multiple elevations for more points..I'd love to do the later, but we'll have to see what it looks like I guess.

They have posted our judges and wow what a panel! There are six..they include Craig Cameron (Extreme Cowboy Race entrepreneur), BF Yates(AQHA Hall of Fame), Richard Winters (Won Road to the Horse), Barbra Schulte(Cutting horse trainer and motivational writer/speaker), Tom Saunders(Director of Ft Worth Stock Show) and Tommy Garland (Arab Trainer and Clinician) We will actually have the opportunity to meet and speak with all the judges! What an experience in itself!

For those of you that do not know, there will be 4 prelim rounds beginning with the trail on Friday. Trail will consist of backing through cones and a "L" opening/shutting a gate, crossing a bridge, crossing elevated poles, crossing a bridge, removing bridle, picking up feet and jumping. Then Friday afternoon we will have a riding class that is on the rail with other Mustangs, walk, trot canter both ways of the ring. Sat. morning we have a maneuvers class, which will include slides, spins and lead changes. We will also have a cow class where we track a cow into a pen as well as turn them back on the fence. Our lowest score of the 4 rounds will be dropped and the top 20 Mustangs will get to ride a freestyle that night at 6 pm central time.

I think I counted 83 horses on the list of entries submitted to compete, so 20 horses of those 83 will make it. I am excited and feel like I have done everything in my power to prepare Lindsay and I, but this is my first competition of this sort so I am certain there will be surprises for me. It will be an amazing experience to meet and get to see some of these Mustang trainers compete. Many of these trainers have competed and won at the previous Extreme Makeovers and I have watched some videos on line...Wow what an amazing job they have done. It is awesome to witness what these horses are capable of in only 100 days, I just can not wait.

I have to give a very very special thank you to Sue King, Sandy and Heidi Ergas and Magnolia Farms for Sponsoring us recently!!! It is going to cost quite a bit to get half way across the country and we just could not do it without the wonderful support of our friends and horse community! Also, Dr. Marcy came out this week to draw up Lindsay's health certificate and donated her services as part of her Sponsorship! We were not expecting that and it was a wonderful surprise!!! Thank you all so very much! If anyone has an interest in Sponsoring Lindsay feel free to call 910-471-2658 or email high.cotton.horse.farm@gmail.com

I have had many folks want to come visit Lindsay and I wish I could have had everyone out, but we have stayed so busy it just has not been possible. I do plan on doing a demo with her sometime after the competition, I will be sure to let everyone know when and where so hopefully you can attend. I have all intentions of keeping her and continuing to compete in various disciplines in the future. I feel like I have been blessed with a tremendous gift of having this amazing partner willing to do so much for me..I owe it to her and all the other Mustangs to represent the breed well and show the public what amazing partners, companions and competitors these horses can be!

As for now I am anxiously awaiting Fort Worth!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment