Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 93 ~ Home on the Road

Well we did make it to Fort Worth last night. Traffic wasn't to bad and we ended up pulling in to the facility at around 11:45 pm. It was a nice place, HUGE indoor arena (Cover-all..my dream indoor :)We met with the barn manager and she promptly takes us on a walk to our barn... She didn't seem to thrilled at the late hour, but at least she did let us in!... As we approached our "stall" my stomach dropped. It was a shelter with a run... all that sounds fine and good...and it would have been, BUT there were horses on both sides of us! ...NOT double fenced off as the Stallions were at Golden Gaits Farm, but right there...and there was only a two row, very thin metal pipe fence separating them from each side of her paddock. Now that may not seem like an issue for some, but I personally become Very protective of any horse in my care and all I could see was "eking" and pawing as Lindsay (a Dominant Boss Mare) informed her two companions of how the totem pole works out on the range. Any time you have horses getting to know each other for the first time there is a chance of injury and throw in a pipe fence between them...I just think it would have been asking for it. It was just not going to happen...even if Mike and I had just hauled 12 hours and we really ready to settle in.

I asked the barn manager if there was a place where she would not be over the fence with another horse and she said no, this was the only option. I informed her (very politely :) that I had spoken with a lady about a month back in regards to setting up this layover and she had told me I could have a stall for Lindsay...well the "new" barn manager's eyes are now glazed over as she tells me that "She is no longer with us anymore" ... I had to chuckle inside, because it made me think to myself..."I guess there is horse drama everywhere you go." It seems many of the boarding barns in Wilmington were always changing managers when I used to travel around training and there was always a bit of drama in the midst, guess it's the same way half way across the country! But after my brief silent chuckle I did get a bit perturbed at the realization that I had set this up a month in advance to ensure Lindsay with a safe resting spot and now it is almost midnight and this "barn manager" whom looks all of 18 yrs old is telling me there is no other option other than the one I simply was not doing.

I quickly scanned the property and spotted a round pen. I asked if we could use it for the night.... well she did not like that idea at all, but after a big sigh she said, "Fine" ... So at least we had a safe spot for Lindsay for the night .. and she settled in quickly and quietly as usual. I figured we'd crash and come up with a new game plan in the morning.

The morning rolled around, rather quickly I must say.. I immediately got on line and found another stable that took layovers near Fort Worth. Called them up and there was room..and it was a stall to ourselves! Sweet relief, we packed up asap and got the heck outta dodge..after I left cash for our nights stay in the round pen...The other facility has an indoor arena too, but it is steel and not insulated and HOT... I mean really HOT, but that's ok, she has a very safe box stall that is as cool as any stall is going to get in 100 degree plus weather. She seems very content in there. She has really been drinking and eating great, she is not tucked up in the least! So excited about that! I have continued soaking her TC Senior, just because it doesn't hurt to get extra fluids in her and she seems to enjoy that mushy stuff.

After she ate her breakfast, she layed down and took a good nap..she has been so quick to settle at these new places..I am really loving that! Mike and I then did a bit of running around in Fort Worth. There were a few things I needed to get for the competition, so we got that done and headed back to the barn in the afternoon.

After it finally started to cool down I took Lindsay for an easy ride. This stable borders a park..which is crazy to me being right in Fort Worth, but it does..so we took off on a little trail ride. She is so funny when we go ride somewhere new, she really gets into it checking stuff out and walks forward and free.. like she is excited to see what is around the next corner. It was pretty hilly and we winded up and down little trail trough the trees. We even came across a stream! Of course I jumped at the opportunity to ask Lindsay to go in...and she did :) We walked up and down it a bit and she kept wanting to drop her nose down all the way under water and toss the water everywhere! She was having a blast...I do think a Pilot Mountain Yadkin River trip is in this gal's future!...After we played in the stream we started making our way back to the barn. When we got up to the main road we came upon a family taking a walk ..Mother, Father, little kid walking and a baby in a stroller. Lindsay was slightly unsure at first, but was very willing when I asked her to walk on by. She does still look at new things...it's not like she is oblivious to the world, but she is so quick to follow my lead if I simply ask her to..even if it involves approaching something she is uncertain about. We spent some time riding around the barn and in the indoor ring...she was curious and wanted to check stuff out, but willingly went everywhere I pointed her. She has become such an enjoyable ride!

Oh, and another Mustang arrived today at our barn! I remember him and his adopter from pick-up. They are all the way from Wisconson! He's a pretty little guy, super flashy. A sorrel with a snow white flaxen mane and tail, 4 stockings and a wide blaze. He seemed pretty quite in his stall too and didn't flinch when I walked by. It's really neat to see these guys again after meeting them as wild, untouched Mustangs. I am So excited to see all the others and the progress I know they have made.

Of to bed for tonight, Lindsay is tucked in her stall and we are in the horse trailer, literally 6 feet from her :)

No comments:

Post a Comment